Nevada Offroad Association


Frequently Asked Questions

Don’t see your question answered here? Please visit our Contact Us page and let us know how we can help.

Our Most Frequently Asked Questions

Can I ride my Side By Side on paved streets in Nevada?

If you are properly equipped and registered – you may ride on General County and Minor County roads. You must have the Alternative registration (stars on the sticker). It is your responsibility to know if that road is open to OHV. You can find more details at NRS 490

Do I need to wear a helmet on an SxS? ATV? Dirtbike?

YES – if you are the driver. Nevada requires helmets any time you are operating on a road, or trail that is open to plated street-legal vehicles. You can find more details at NRS 490.

Can ATV or SxS without the alternative registration operate on the pavement?

Sometimes. If a community passes an ordinance it is allowed. And then ONLY to get from private property to Public Lands – We are working on a comprehensive listing but you can check the local code for where you are riding here.

Do you have maps of open OHV areas?

The State has a website with downloadable files.  Visit Nevada Off-Highway Vehicle Trail Maps.  Always Ride Smart & Respect Trails. 

What is classified as an OHV?

Off-highway vehicle means a motor vehicle that is designed primarily for off-highway and all-terrain use. The term includes, but is not limited to:

An all-terrain vehicle;
An all-terrain motorcycle;
A dune buggy;
A snowmobile; and
Any motor vehicle used on public lands for the purpose of recreation

Does my OHV need to be registered?

With certain exceptions, every owner of an OHV shall register their OHV. Registration of an off-highway vehicle is not required if the off-highway vehicle:

  1. Is owned and operated by:
    1. A federal agency;
    2. An agency of this State; or
    3. A county, incorporated city or unincorporated town in this State;
  2. Is part of the inventory of a dealer of off-highway vehicles and is affixed with a special dealer license plate;
  3. Is registered or certified in another state and is located in this State for not more than 15 days;
  4. Is used solely for husbandry on private land or on public land that is leased to or used under a permit issued to the owner or operator of the off-highway vehicle;
  5. Is used for work conducted by or at the direction of a public or private utility; or
  6. Was manufactured before January 1, 1976.
  7. Is operated solely in an organized race, festival or other event that is conducted:
    1. Under the auspices of a sanctioning body; or
    2. By permit issued by a governmental entity having jurisdiction;
  8. Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (d), is operated or stored on private land or on public land that is leased to the owner or operator of the off-highway vehicle, including when operated in an organized race, festival or other event;
  9. Is used in a search and rescue operation conducted by a governmental entity having jurisdiction; or
  10. Has a displacement of not more than 70 cubic centimeters.

Communities With On-Street Riding


Ely is one of the best Mountain Towns in America.

That they allow for OHV’s to park and stay downtown at any of the hotels, or grab a bite to eat is a HUGE bonus.


Elko has one of the most welcoming and broad regulations allowing for you to Ride into and out of the city. 


Mesquite, like Elko, has a very broad ordinance allowing for street use of OHV,  they also allow Golf Carts.